FOCUS on WMACCA - 12/23/2011 (Plain Text Version)
View Graphical Version
WMACCA Wishes You A Wonder-Filled Holiday Season
WMACCA Wants and Needs You!
As 2011 wanes, we have a simple question for you: Did you renew your ACC/WMACCA membership? Don't delay -- It takes just a moment to renew online at http://www.acc.com/aboutacc/membership/join.cfm.
WMACCA's successes can be attributed to the energy and vision that our volunteer leaders bring to their “jobs” with the chapter. Don't you want to get more engaged in
this dynamic organization?
We are always looking for new voices and ideas
to ensure that we provide a high level of service for our members and are
advocates for in-house practice. You will benefit professionally from the contacts
you make, and from the valuable and rewarding friendships you will forge. And you will have fun connecting with
the organization and the people. Click here to complete the online volunteer sign-up form...
[return to top]
Justice Scalia To Deliver Keynote
At 2012 WMACCA Annual Meeting
WMACCA is honored that Antonin Scalia, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, will deliver keynote remarks at the 2012 WMACCA Annual Meeting and January Signature Luncheon on Thursday, January 19, 2012.
Justice Scalia has served on the Supreme Court since 1986, when the Senate confirmed his nomination by President Reagan, and is currently the longest-serving justice on the Court.
The luncheon meeting will be held at The Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner in McLean, Virginia, from noon to 2 p.m. on January 19, and will include the election of WMACCA officers and directors. Registration for this luncheon is now open. Please visit http://www.cvent.com/d/pcqmdl for further details and registration. [return to top]
News Alert: Political GPS - Your Quick Route Through Law and Politics
The rules on campaign finance, lobbying and gifts to government officials are complex, with many perils for the uninitiated. This week's news alert -- the latest edition of Political GPS: Your Quick Route Through Law and Politics from Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice PLLC, the 2011 Diamond Sponsor of WMACCA -- provides an analysis of current issues in political law and practical advice on navigating the landmines. In this issue:
[return to top]
- Super-Size That Contribution: New Options for Savvy Corporations, Associations, and Politically Active Executives
- Contributing to Candidate Campaigns and Political Parties? Homework Is Required Here, Too
- New Gift Rules Proposed for Federal Executive Branch
Share Your Contracts and Your Could Win: ACC is developing an automated contract system that
creates and updates contract templates. This system will analyze
contract language from thousands of contracts to synthesize a model
legal document containing the most common clauses and language used by
lawyers in practice today. With this new tool, you will be able to
search for model contracts by contract type and swap out clauses with alternatives to
fit your needs. To make this system as comprehensive as possible, we need
contracts you use in your own practice. To get the ball rolling, ACC is offering prizes to those who submit the most contracts. Now through
January 16, 2012, 5pm EST, submit your contracts and you could win a
variety of prizes - including a FREE registration to ACC's 2012 Annual Meeting in Orlando! Click here for more information...
Top 10 30-Somethings: The ACC Docket's first "Top 10 30-Somethings Award" will recognize
excellence and outstanding achievement in the in-house legal profession among attorneys between the
ages of 30 and 39. Self-nominating is
acceptable. The 10 recipients will be featured in the "Top 10 30-Somethings" supplement of ACC Docket's July/August Career Issue. For more information and to nominate a worthy achiever, please visit http://survey.acc.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=hizunfazakyxovq961510.
ACC’s Member-to-Member Mobile App: It's Alive! ACC’s Member-to-Member
mobile app is now available. Through this app, you can get ACC
announcements, find members, participate in eGroup discussions, and build your
own contact list. The app is ready for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry devices. Go get it! [return to top]
Step Up To The Bar:
- Kudos to WMACCA members Judy Sapir, Senior VP, General Counsel and Secretary of APCO Worldwide, and Pat McGlone, Acting General Counsel of ULLICO, on their selection to serve on the D.C. Bar's Nominations Committee. The Nominations Committee will select
nominees for the office of D.C. Bar President-elect, Secretary,
Treasurer, Board of Governors, and ABA Delegates (including
one for the under-35 seat). Nominations are due by Jan. 6. For information on submitting a nomination, please visit http://www.dcbar.org/inside_the_bar/bar_news/shell.cfm?filename=bar_2012elections
- D.C. Bar Sections are also seeking nominations to fill the vacancies on Steering Committees in 2012-13.
Steering Committee members are responsible for
coordinating programs, projects, publications, and community outreach and advocacy
activities. A listing of the 21
Sections can be found at http://www.dcbar.org/for_lawyers/sections/sectionSites.cfm. D.C. Bar members who are interested in these opportunities must complete a Candidate Interest Form by Feb. 2 (downloadable from http://www.dcbar.org/for_lawyers/sections/section_elections/index.cfm).
[return to top]
- Ethisphere - World's Most Ethical Companies: Ethisphere is accepting nominations of companies that "go beyond making statements about doing business 'ethically,' to translate those words into action." Nominations are due before midnight on Jan. 9. Click here for further details and the online nomination form.
- Trailblazer Award - deadline extended: The Greater Washington Area Chapter, Women Lawyers Division, of the National Bar Association is accepting nominations for its Charlotte E. Ray Award, honoring the trailblazing spirit of Ms. Ray. Nominations are due by Dec. 31. For more information on the award, past honorees, and the nominations process, please click here.
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Pro Bono Award: The Virginia State Bar is seeking nominations for this prestigious honor recognizing lifetime or other extraordinary achievements in the fields of pro bono and public service. Nominations are due by Jan. 20. Click here for further details.
- WBA Woman Lawyer of the Year and Torchbearer Awards: The Women's Bar Association of D.C. is seeking nominations for these two prestigious awards. Nominations are due by Jan. 6. For more details on these honors and information on submitting nominations, please visit the WBA's web page at http://www.wbadc.org and see the item in the "News and Highlights" column on the right side of the screen.
- Washington Business Journal Minority Business Leader Awards: The Washington Business Journal is seeking nominations for these awards which will honor 25 of the
region's most successful and influential minority executives and
business owners. Nominations are due by Jan. 13. Click here for more information and to submit a nomination.