|Time for Fun!
Spring Social (June 12 in DC) & LGBTQ and Allies Happy Hour (June 27 in DC)
Spring Into Summer Social - Tues., June 12, 6 - 8 pm, ACC HQ,
Join us for one of ACC NCR’s biggest social events of the
year at ACC Global's new offices, conveniently located above Metro Center. Meet with new members, see old friends, and welcome the 2018 Corporate Scholars. This is a great opportunity to invite
non-member in-house colleagues and friends to introduce them to ACC and the
For full details and registration, please visit https://www.acc.com/chapters/ncr/index.cfm?eventID=22233
LGBTQ and Allies Happy Hour - Wed., June 27, 6:30 pm, Gaslight Tavern, Washington, DC
In honor of Pride
month and a recent influx of new LGBT in-house lawyers (come meet them), ACC NCR is having an informal meet-up happy hour on Wednesday June 27,
6:30 pm at Gaslight Tavern, located at 2012 9th St NW. The meet-up is open to all in-house lawyers,
whether you identify as LGBT or an ally. This will be cash
bar. To get a sense of head-count, please respond if you plan to attend by emailing Rob Falk at Rfalk@truthinitiative.org.
|The Supreme Court Blesses Employment Class Action Waivers
News Alert from Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
In this week’s news alert, Emerald Sponsor Akin Gump discusses the Supreme
Court’s recent holding in Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis that class and
collective action waivers in arbitration agreements between employers and
employees are enforceable under the Federal Arbitration Act and not prohibited
by the National Labor Relations Act. This landmark decision is
reverberating in courts throughout the country. Therefore, area employers are
wasting no time in protecting themselves against class action lawsuits.
|GC Roundtable: Highlights on Leading and Thriving in Today’s Transformational Environment
More than 140 ACC NCR members, Corporate Scholars, and
sponsors attended the 2018 GC Roundtable and listened intently to the panel
share stories of leading through transformation and lessons learned. A few
highlights for those who were unable to attend:
- To be a trusted advisor, in-house lawyers need to demonstrate to their clients their credibility and reliability, as well as offer intimacy.
- Credibility means to listen with empathy to help clients frame the problem and then work with them to craft a course of action with carefully managed expectations.
- Reliability means to deliver consistent high-quality work.
- Intimacy means to open yourself up hear, understand, and take into account their needs and concerns.
- The bottom line is that you will have a successful relationship with your in-house clients if they believe you are putting their interests above yours in helping them to work through their issues.
- It is very important for the lawyers to sit in on
business-client meetings, so they are up to speed on what the business is
doing. That way, if an issue comes up,
they have the background. Also, the
business person knows that that lawyer is there to help them when they need it and feels comfortable reaching out to the lawyer.
- When a company is going through a transformation, it's critical that the legal department reexamine its role, how it is organized, and the like, to ensure the department is meeting its internal clients where they are. And, when the legal department is reexamining its role, it's very important to involve the entire team in changes, such as engaging junior members to lead some of the processes.
- Over-communicate! Don't assume that everyone on the team knows what the senior members are thinking.
- In-house lawyers can sit in a room and identify all the risks associated with major growth in the organization. But, if they do that, they'll be holding back the company from what it could accomplish. A good lawyer lets the company go up to the edge of a cliff and holds it by the suspenders as it looks over the edge to see how far a fall it is. You must be willing to let the organization take risks.
- You should not wait for huge events to occur to think about making changes. If you approach every day and every meeting as an opportunity to improve and adapt your processes, you will have little victories all the time.
- If lawyers, from time to time, actively seek out and take responsibility for a non-legal project, it can help build a bridge with the
business side and demonstrate the valuable skills that legal brings to the
Many thanks to our terrific panel and moderator!
Pictured above, left to right:
- Larry Samuelson, Senior VP, General Counsel, and Secretary, Cvent Inc.;
- Savalle Sims, Executive VP and General Counsel, Discovery, Inc.;
- W. Ming Shao, Senior Executive VP and General Counsel, MicroStrategy Inc.;
- Greg Watchman, Managing Associate General Counsel - Employment Law & Employee Relations, Freddie Mac, and VP - Programming of ACC NCR; and
- Nicolas Jafarieh, Senior VP and General Counsel, Sallie Mae.
PRO BONO & COMMUNITY SERVICE
LAWYERS HAVE HEART 5K and 10K - Join the ACC NCR Team - June 9
D.C. BAR PRO BONO CENTER NONPROFIT POLICIES CLINIC - June 21
- Use your legal skills to assist nonprofit
organizations who need help developing basic governance policies, including
whistleblower, record retention, and conflict of interest policies.
- 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Morrison &
Foerster LLP in Washington D.C.
- Training, support, and sample policies will be provided,
followed by meetings with nonprofit clients. No expectation of ongoing assistance.
- To register as a volunteer, please complete the
following registration form: https://goo.gl/forms/RkkPC6jStecA7vYG2
contact Jason Qu at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this event.
*NEW*: LSNV CLINICS
Uncontested Divorce Clinic in McLean, VA - June 26
- Sponsored by Capital One
- At Hunton Andrews Kurth Client Conference Center, Suite 140, 8405 Greensboro Dr., McLean, VA
- 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. volunteer arrival
- 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. training
- 10:15 – 11:00 a.m. volunteers meet with clients
- 11:15 – 12:00 p.m. volunteers meet with clients
Bankruptcy Clinic in Dulles, VA – June 28
- Sponsored by and located at Oath, Inc., 22000 AOL Way, Dulles, VA
- 8:20 – 8:30 a.m. volunteer arrival
- 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. training
- 10 a.m. volunteers meet with clients
- 11 a.m. volunteers
meet with clients
information for both clinics will be posted next week.
D.C. BAR PRO BONO CENTER SMALL BUSINESS BRIEF ADVICE CLINIC - July 11
July 11 - Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs, Small
Business Resource Center 1100 4th Street SW, 2nd Floor (5 - 7:30 p.m.)
- To volunteer, complete the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GZ7RZVP. You may choose more than one clinic date
and will be notified if the spot you've requested is available.
|Thank You 2017 President Affie Ambrose
|ACC NCR President Navid Haghighi and Immediate Past President Affie Ambrose|
ACC NCR extended a belated thank you to Afsaneh "Affie" Ambrose, its
2017 ACC NCR President and General Counsel, Acumen Solutions, Inc. A tireless leader of the chapter, Affie led us through the exciting launch of the Leadership Academy and some
significant staff transitions. We are grateful for her continued leadership and support!
||Career Development Forum:
Strategically Advancing Your Career - Creating Your Individual Plan. June
12, 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., in McLean, VA (live only).|
||Employment & Labor Forum:
Top 10 Employment Law Headaches for Legal Counsel and How to Avoid Them. June 13, 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.,
in McLean, VA or by web seminar. |
||Non-Profits and Associations
Forum: Key Issues in Federal Grant Law for In-House Lawyers. June 14, 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.,
in Washington, DC, or by web seminar. |
||In Richmond: How Blockchain
Technology is Revolutionizing Business and the Law. June 26, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.,
in Richmond, VA (live only).|
& IP and Global
Issues Forums: FCPA Compliance - Leading Practices, Tools and
Techniques. June 27, 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., in McLean, VA or by web
|| Ethics CLE: In-House Counsel
and Outside Help - Ethical Issues in Dealing with Advisors, Agents, Affiliates,
and Associated Third Parties. June
28, 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., in McLean, VA or by web seminar.|
||Click here to check our web page for the complete list of upcoming CLEs announced thus far.|
||If you missed a chapter program that was webcast, click here to access our web seminar archive.|